Monday, April 28, 2008

Bottle Tree

On Saturday night, I got a call from my friend asking if I wanted to join her and a couple others on a trip to Birmingham. At first this seemed like a not so great idea, then she explained that her and her band mates had gotten free tickets to a music festival at Bottle Tree and there were supposed to be some really great bands playing. Of course, this led me to question, “Well that’s great for you, how much is it going to cost me to get it in.” The answer was $20. Obviously I still wasn’t sold on this adventure despite the fact that I had heard a lot about this new venue in Birmingham and what a cool place it was. I, of course, gave in and we set off to Birmingham for the night.

If I was 21, the $20 would have been more than reasonable. That $20 not only got you in but also a nice glass, t-shirt and free beer for the night. Sadly, I feel like much of my money went to things I wasn’t allowed to enjoy; however, I did get a cool t-shirt and a glass. Anyway, this little music festival was called the Raindrop Festival and turned out it supported the Hulsey Little River Trust. It was more than worth the trip and anyone who gets a chance to go to Bottle Tree should. It’s an artsy little restaurant/bar and sports a menu with limited meat and lots of vegan options. What really makes it special is that the people who work there are really nice and don’t present you with the snooty side of the artsy world. Finally, anyone who goes there has to talk to the guy, named Chris, at the front door. He is this awesome old many with great stories and an eye tattooed in his bald spot amongst his long gray curly hair. Possibly one of this nicest, coolest guys I’ve ever met.

No comments: