Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Spring has Sprung


Above are the beautiful objects that greeted me when I returned from spring break. By now I’m sure many of you have noticed these carefully chosen flowers around campus. Not only are they a reminder of the new amazing weather and closing of spring semester, they proudly show our school colors. I don’t think I’ve ever been on a college campus before where the choice of flowers was dependent on school colors and really I think in many ways it exemplifies the school pride on campus.


But anyway, the real reason I was writing this was because while I thought they were nice and well worth it because they defiantly made me smile when I returned to campus, I heard many negative comments in relation to how expensive they probably were. Generally the comments included “Oh so that is what my tuition is going too” or more often “It’s nice to see why my out-of-state tuition is going up.” While I see where these comments originate and the definite frustration in rising tuition prices, the campus does have to keep up appearances and landscaping is one of those costs. In addition, chances are, them putting in tulips is not the only or largest reason that tuition is rising. So I say, enjoy the brightness they bring to the campus and look at the positive side, not how much they cost.

No comments: