Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Sky Gazing

A few weeks ago, I ventured out to the Bama Theater. First, if you’ve never been here, find something going on and just go in and see the inside of the theater. Not only does it look like an old timey theater but the ceiling is painted like a sky with little twinkle lights to look like stars.

But anyway, Capstone radio was sponsoring a local music festival from 3pm to 3am called Tuscapalooza. It featured many different local bands, many of which I sadly did not see, but I did venture out to see the last 4 or 5 bands. The first couple were the usual jam bands expected from a college town, then the last 3 groups or so had a little more of an original twist, playing mostly their own songs. It was a blast. I had some friends in that I went to high school with that now go to Auburn or Oberlin. They are the ones joining me in the sky gazing in the picture below. Now, in explanation of the picture, this was at 2:30 in the morning and the band called the Bonky Bonks had thrown big balloons into the audience for us to bounce around. Obviously this was a little more entertaining than it should have been. However, their show along with the others I saw were entertaining and worth seeing. Again I say, go out and support your local music, you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found this post on a google search for the Bonky bonks. I play various instruments in the band. thank you for saying nice things about us. I'm glad you enjoyed the show