Monday, May 5, 2008

Downtown Northport


Recently I wandered once again into downtown Northport. My first adventure into this area was for the Kentuck festival earlier in the year. It’s an art festival in a park with music and food. It was really cool and you should defiantly keep your eye out for it next year.

Anyway, this time I went to eat at City Café. It serves home cooked meals where basically you pick out a meat and a couple of vegetable, or just vegetables and its only like $4. Considering this price, the food was amazing and well worth the escape to eat real food as apposed to the dining halls. It wasn’t anything healthy or fancy, but it was good home cooked southern food.

Behind the restaurant and off to the side there is also a little bakery called Mary’s bakery. It is really tiny and mainly makes cakes and other things I believe, but they do serve some lunch and have the most amazing pastries. Also they make homemade gelato fresh everyday. Downtown Northport is defiantly worth the visit and for college kids City Café and Mary’s bakery are a nice retreat from the usual food of living on campus.

3 comments:

Sarah's EN103 Blog said...

I've never been to Kentuck before, but I've heard it's pretty cool. I took arts of Tuscaloosa last semester and fine arts 200 this semester and in both classes they discussed it. sounds interesting.

I've also heard some pretty good things about City Cafe. I LOVE homecooked food and I've been wanting to go check it out, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Emi's Blog said...

I have been to downtown Northport like twice to go into some shops and to eat at The Globe. I have heard a lot about Mary's Bakery and City Cafe though and will definitely have to go by sometime!

~*Hello Kitty*~ said...

I've never heard of Kentuck, but I've been down to downtown Northport. I think it's so cute how it still looks "old" (for lack of a better word). But I recently heard that they were talking about tearing all the stuff down in downtown Northport! I hope it's not true, but I heard it from a local...so there's a serious possibility. Ever since I've been introduced to downtown Northport...I have been obsessed with City Cafe! I love it!!