Monday, March 3, 2008

Tiny town offers more in entertainment

Sometimes it amazes me how much there really is to do here in Tuscaloosa. During the fall, there is a never ending amount of excitement with football and thousands of crazy fans tailgating;However, the campus still offers many exciting options during the spring. From university sports such as basketball, gymnastics, baseball and swimming going on, to the fine arts plays and concerts, there is always something happening. In comparison to my hometown, Tuscaloosa is a great deal smaller. However there is much more offered in Tuscaloosa in comparison. Honestly about the most exciting thing that goes on on a regular basis is the movie theater or the outside shopping mall. Sometimes I hear people describing there tiny hometown and mention the same things as there only options. This makes me wonder whether teenagers just have a tendency to be attracted to these things or if somehow even though Montgomery is much larger, they just lack to incentive to create events for people to attend. Don't get me wrong, my hometown does offer Jubilee once a year which is like a musical festival and there is usually some form of a punk or heavy metal band playing somewhere in town, however variety is certainly not offered.

3 comments:

~*Hello Kitty*~ said...

Chelsea, I am one of those people that came from a smaller town. And I must say that I personally think that Tuscaloosa is an upgrade from where I come from. The only thing there is to do in Demopolis is to go to the movies. Sorry, there is no mall for us. So I absolutely love Tuscaloosa just because it offers WAY more than my hometown.

Emi's Blog said...

Chelsea, I completely agree with you on how little variety Montgomery offers, especially when it comes to music. Jubilee is pretty good, but since the city spent so much money on the amphitheater, they should actually line up some bands to put it into use!

Sparky said...

Tuscaloosa really benefits from being so close to B'ham, I think. It's more metropolitan. Way more sophisticated than State College, PA!

But who really went out to listen to bands before they started college? Maybe I was just really un-cool in high school, or maybe Fairhope just wasn't a happening scene, but we never really heard about bands . . . Maybe that's why high schoolers gravitate to the malls, etc.