Friday, February 15, 2008

Support Local Music


Whenever you feel bored on a weekend, look through the paper and see what local bands are playing this week. This past weekend I ventured to Mellow Mushroom. My friend Beth play’s french horn in a local band called Squirrel House. I would try to describe them, but they’re a mixture of many aspects. I can say, however, that they put on a great show and will once again be performing soon. They are also putting out a CD in the not to distant future. If you by chance want to keep up with them, they have a myspace.


But outside of just their band and my short supportive spiel there, Tuscaloosa sports many local bands. Many of which are decently known around the area and are worth going to see. While I, as someone who is not quite 19, understand that sometime this can be a bit challenging since most places who have live bands won’t allow underage kid’s in. In fact, the most places on the strip hold this rule. To this I can only say hold out and wait to your birthday for some live appearances. However, I recently saw an advertisement that the capstone is going to be having live music on Monday’s on campus from 12-1pm called music at the fountain, which will feature local artist. I think this is a great addition to the campus and will hopefully help support local artist gain support.

2 comments:

Sparky said...

Phrases I never expected to read in my life: "My friend Beth play’s french horn in a local band called Squirrel House." That's just awesome.

Thanks for the local music tip! I'll go hunt down their myspace page . . . do you have the link handy? Myspace still confounds me sometimes . . .

I think the music at the fountain stuff is supported by the Creative Campus folks. I had a student play there with his band last semester. It's great! And when the weather warms up, it's cool to go sit and listen and eat lunch out there. I'll keep my ears open now that I know when it is.

Nick said...

there is an unbelievable amount of talent in this town as far as local bands go..almost every weekend in the fall these bands play band parties the night before football games and it never fails to amaze me how good they all are